A Little Time Goes a Long Way
We’ve answered the questions we receive most often below. Please take a moment to see if your question is answered here. If it isn’t, please contact us via chat, send us an email, or leave a comment below.
Q: How should I prepare my photographs before I submit?
A: Please prepare each image for submission in the following manner in order to be considered:
- File format: JPEG
- Longest dimension: 2000 pixels
- Resolution: 72 dpi/ppi
- File Size: No more than 1MB per file
Q: I’m not sure if I am an “emerging” photographer. How can I tell if I am eligible to enter?
A: By “emerging,” we simply mean photographers who are not under current contractual agreement with another gallery. There is no age requirement or restriction. We are most interested in attracting work that brings a new and exciting element to the medium of photography.
Q: I had a group exhibition or a solo show at a commercial gallery. Am I qualified to enter ONWARD?
A: Having an exhibition at a commercial gallery does not necessarily mean that you are represented by them. Representation means that a gallery has contracted to actively exhibit your work and present it to their clients.
Q: Can I submit a piece that has been previously published or shown in another gallery? What about a piece that has been shown in a previous ONWARD exhibit?
A: You may feel free to submit a piece that has been published or shown in another gallery. You may not submit work that has already been part of a previous ONWARD exhibition.
Q: Are photographs containing tasteful nudity, or other subject matter that might be perceived as controversial, acceptable to submit?
A: As long as the photographs are not blatantly exploitative or overtly offensive, such images may be submitted.
Q: How do I fill out the online submission form correctly?
A: The online submission form can be completed in a few easy steps.
- First page – Simply choose which tier of submission you have decided on.
- About you – Fill out each of the fields with the appropriate information. Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
- Share your info in the online gallery – Fill out any appropriate fields so that we can publish your social media and web presence along with your featured image in the online gallery.
- Your photos – This is where you will upload your 10 images with titles. Once you have completed the necessary fields and attached your images, hit the “Next Page” button at the bottom.
- Checkout – This is where you will pay for your entry. Your submission will not be processed until the payment is received. We accept all major credit cards.
Hold on, why do you need my social media information? What are you going to do with that?
A: We’ll publish this information along with your featured image in the online gallery. This will allow anyone visiting the site to follow you and see and share more of your work! You don’t have to enter your information if you don’t want to, but we strongly recommend it if you want to win the popular vote!
Q: May I submit more than ten images by doing several entries?
A: No. Each artist is limited to one entry with up to ten images per year.
Q: Can I pay by check?
A: Payments must be submitted online at the time of entry.
Q: When I submit my photos, do I retain copyright?
A: Absolutely! Here’s the fine print:
Project Basho will make reasonable efforts to protect your submissions. We are not, however, liable for damage, loss or replacement. All entrants agree that any image they submit to ONWARD may be used for marketing and promotional purposes directly related to ONWARD programming. This use may include, but is not limited to, publication in printed materials, advertisements, electronic media, websites, social media outlets, or magazines. If selected, entrants agree to grant Project Basho permission to publish their image in an exhibition catalog which will be sold to the public. All images used by ONWARD shall carry a credit line of the artist. Copyright and all other rights remain that of the artist.
ACCEPTED FIRST ROUND
Q: I’ve been selected! Now I have to send you my physical print for the second round. I want to make sure that I get my print back whether I make the exhibition or not. How should I send it to you, and when should I expect to see it again?
A: Woohoo! Congratulations! When it comes to shipping us your print for the second round of judging, a few things should be considered:
- Shipping: all prints should be sent in sturdy, protective packaging to avoid damage while in transit. You are also more than welcome to drop off your work in person here in Philadelphia.
- If you would like to have your print returned you must either ship it in reusable packaging or include return packaging in the original shipment. You must also provide a return shipping label. You may also retrieve your print in person here at Project Basho in Philadelphia.
- Return if not selected for exhibition: if you included proper return packaging and postage, your print will be returned within two weeks of the announcement. You may also pick up your print here in Philadelphia at our studio.
- If you have not carried out one of these options after two weeks of the announcement, we cannot assume responsibility for the return of your print.
Q: Does it matter what size my print is? Is framing included no matter what?
A: Matting and framing is included for prints in standard sizes: 11×14, 14×17, 16×20, 20×24, and 20×30. Anything framed outside of those sizes will incur an extra framing cost.
ACCEPTED SECOND ROUND
Q: I’ve been selected from the second round and will have my print shown in the exhibition! What happens to my print now?
A: You did it! Your prints will be kept here at Project Basho for the run of the show and returned to you no later than two months after the exhibition closes as long as you followed the return conventions above.
Q: If one of my prints sells at the exhibition, how much do I take away?
A: Well done! We retain 40% of any sale that takes place as part of ONWARD, you take the remaining 60%.
Q: If I opted for a tier of submission that includes a review, does that mean my review will explain why I was or was not selected?
A: YOUR REVIEW IS GIVEN INDEPENDENTLY OF THE OPINIONS OF THE GUEST JUROR. All opinions and suggestions should be taken as feedback from the professional photographer composing the review, not the views of ONWARD or our juror. We can’t stress this enough!
Q: Who’s going to be the person behind my review?
A: It all depends on if you are selected or which tier you chose to enter with.
- Tier one: Tier one does not include a review, but you are still eligible for one if you are chosen as a winner
- Tier two: Your written review will be conducted by an experienced and currently practicing photographer who teaches at the university level.
- Tier three: Your video review will be conducted by Greg Miller or Karen Marshall, instructors in the ONWARD Global Mentorship Program
- Honorable Mention: Your written review will be conducted by an experienced and currently practicing photographer who teaches at the university level.
- Winners: Your review will take place live over Skype with juror Richard Renaldi
Q: Do I have an option of what language my review will be in?
A: No. All reviews will be conducted and sent in English.
Q: When will i get my review back?
A: All reviews will be sent no later than the end of March.